Saturday, December 13, 2008

About My Mom . . .

I started this blog as a way to cope with the emotions of being a caregiver for my Mom. It has been a long time since I last posted here.

Caring for an Alzheimer's patient is draining--physically and emotionally. It requires a lot of time. About the time of my last post here my Mom started to go downhill in her years long battle with Alzheimer's. She was also suffering from multiple blood clots.

I spent the spring and summer helping to take care of her along with my sister and step-dad. My mom was hospitalized in early September due to complications from the blood clots. She passed away on September 18th.

I debated whether or not to continue this blog. I am no longer a caregiver to an Alzheimer's patient and I do not want to mislead anyone. But I have decided to continue to post here because I have some experience dealing with dementia and I hope to be able to help someone through my words.

I would appreciate your comments on this blog. Let me know if my words have helped you or how I can help you.

I have also started a website on this subject Dementia Caregiving 101. I look forward to serving you.

No comments: